Blogger Badge

Friday, May 18, 2018

THE FLOATING DIARY (Journal – 5): WHERE BLUE ORCHID BLOOMS

The funny thing about my disease is I never get to know when and what memory is getting lost. Two days ago, I received a letter from Singapore. However, as I opened the envelope and read the letter, I realized that it is not an ordinary one! It is a special message, a message with a subtle touch of LOVE! However, I was completely unable to recall anything associated with it or its sender. Let me first note down the contents of the letter…

My Dear Pravin
I hope you are fondly missing the time we have spent together, just as I am missing it.

I must say that those ten days were the best days of my life. It was a time when I experienced true love! It was a time I experienced innocence in the eyes of a man… that is you! It was a time when I discovered my true self. I got a new name from you; a name I still cherish…

Even though we had to part, and I had to travel far away, I still remember the promise we made to each other. I am writing this letter to you to say that I will keep my word! I shall be waiting for you on the 25th of December, at the place we decided to meet again and be united forever. Yes, as you poetically mentioned… it is where The Blue Orchid Blooms!

Always Yours,
Kannika Amudee

After reading the letter, I sat with a blank canvas in my mind, without any memories of Kannika or any incidences related to her. Throughout the night I kept wondering and struggling to recall something that would help me find the answers to so many questions that crowded my mind. The letter is still special to me, as it is the only source that can remind me about PASSION and LOVE in my life! I now know that by 25th December, my disease will erase all my memories. This letter and any recollection of Kannika is like an anchor that would anchor me back to my emotional and romantic self!

I tried to go through my belonging, in search of some clue. I asked aunt Padma whether she ever heard about the name Kannika. However, nothing fruitful happened. I felt something strange inside, a sort of ache in my heart, but remained helpless in discovering anything.

Then, something happened last night!

Dreams are the true windows of the subconscious mind and through this magical window, came a gust of promising reminiscence of answers I was frantically seeking. In my dream, last night, a pair of beautiful blue eyes emerged! I could see the love in them. I saw a pair of beautiful lips, flaunting a deeply innocent smile; I heard the intoxicating sound of her laughter; I saw her beautiful dark hair, silkily waving in the wind. I could see her beautiful, thin long fingers, gesturing me to come near her!

Like the moving pages of a journal, I could see myself sitting with her, Kannika, in the garden of Delhi University, and pouring my heart out to her. I could not see her complete face, but the fragments that appeared in my vision, were enough to help me identify that it was indeed her.

Yes, I remembered that she came to Delhi, along with a group of researchers from Singapore and we met during a seminar.  She was from a remote village near Phuket in Thailand, but had to travel across the world for her research study, as part of her scholarship program. It was love at first sight for both of us and within the ten days, we understood that we were made for each other. I lost my heart in the depths of her innocent blue eyes and gave her a special name. I called her Blue Orchid… the heavenly flower of Thailand!

My sleep broke and my dream got interrupted. I could not recall anything further. Even though the dream brought back some very vital information… her face still remained a haze! The name “Phuket” rang in my ears and I determined myself that I must go there. I am convinced that even if her face is still a blur, her pure love would unite me with her. Even though the name of the remote village, in Thailand, is obscured from my active memory, I am sure when I reach Phuket I would be able to locate it and find my beloved.


Kannika’s letter and my last night’s recollections tell me that are our bond is still strong and defines an arterial lifeline within me. Let me note down here, that whatever happens, on December 25th 2004 I shall go to Thailand, to Phuket and to the village where my beloved Kannika, my Blue Orchid Blooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Books

The Breakfast - A Thriller Short Story (Inspector Kanailal's cases)

  Sub Inspector Rajiv Mukherjee sat on a wooden chair placed at a corner of the large spacious room on the third floor of Lal Bazar headquar...