Blogger Badge

Thursday, May 10, 2018

THE FLOATING DIARY (Journal – 2): MY BEST FREIND

I, Pravin Singhania, am the lone child of my late parents Mr. Bhuvan Singhania and Mrs. Bhavna Singhania. I have spent the most memorable times of my life in the prized company of my parents. Till the age of twelve, I used to live in Dehradun where my Baba was posted as a bank manager, before we moved to the big city, drawn by my father’s entrepreneurial aspiration.

Life in Dehradun was lucid and peaceful and everybody had a lot of time to spend with family. I remember our little single-storied bungalow, colored a beautiful lemon-green, where my Maa used to make yummy delicacies every day and Baba used to take me for long refreshing walks among the wilderness.

On my seventh birthday, Baba gave me a special present. It came packaged in a beautiful basket as a surprise. It was a little baby rabbit! I was overjoyed on receiving the gift. I named by rabbit as ROCKY! He was not a pet for me, he was a friend, a best friend! Though Rocky was devoid of vocal expressions, he was a good listener who always listened to my childhood fantasies, while relishing on a tasty piece of carrot. Every night I used to make him sleep on a couch make inside the basket and in the morning Rocky would come and cuddle up with me on my bed and wake me up. We became the best friends!

Three months passed and my Rocky grew up to a decent size. Baba and Maa used to secretly admire our friendship and encouraged me to take care of Rocky. From that tender age, this taught me to be complacent towards animals and nurtured the softer side my basic human nature.

Then the fateful thing happened. During the monsoons, Rocky became sick. Baba got medicines from the veterinarian and fed him. However, nothing helped and Rocky died after five days. I was completely shocked by this sudden blow of destiny. It was my first experience of death. Baba took away lifeless Rocky and buried him in the woods in his eternal rest. Two weeks passed, but I was unable to get out of the state of shock. I had lost my only best friend! I remember how Maa and Baba became worried about my mental state but remained helpless.

Then, one day, on a sunny Sunday morning, Baba came to me with something. He stood beside me, while I was sulking in the small lawn outside our bungalow, and gave me a small flower pot. It was a small earthen pot with a little wild flower plant. There were no flowers in it yet, but there were some nascent buds.

Baba told me that this wild flower plant had grown above the grave of Rocky and it carried the soul of my best friend! He told me that they day flowers would bloom in the plant; it would mean Rocky is smiling at me. My innocent trusted the words of Baba and I took the flower pot with great ecstasy. Baba told me that whenever the plant in the pot would wither, I would need to sow the seeds of a new one in it, so that the soul of Rocky, that is ingrained within the soil, would bloom through it.

Ever since that day, to this day of my life, that flower pot stays with me in my bedroom window. I have taken care of my Baba’s flower pot every day. Even though my personality has matured over the years, the child Pravin still lives in me who trusted every word of Baba. The flower pot never argued with me. It never fought with me. I made many friends in life, but none could replace this friend in whom I can still confide all my feelings.

My flower pot remains to be my best friend to this day! Many plants have bloomed and withered in this pot, but the soil remains the same. It is the soil which holds the soul of my best friend Rocky. The speechless Rocky rabbit, transformed into the speechless flower pot has remained my buddy to this day.


I am writing this story, this special portion of my existence in this diary here, so that the day I forget everything, the day I come back to rediscover my own self… I shall remember Rocky; I shall remember my flower pot. I shall remember my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Books

The Breakfast - A Thriller Short Story (Inspector Kanailal's cases)

  Sub Inspector Rajiv Mukherjee sat on a wooden chair placed at a corner of the large spacious room on the third floor of Lal Bazar headquar...